The Latest: Migrants in Finland met by man in KKK-like dress

The Latest: Migrants in Finland met by man in KKK-like dress

BUDAPEST, Hungary (AP) — The latest developments as European governments struggle to cope with the huge number of people moving across Europe. All times local:

10:55 a.m.

Asylum-seekers arriving in Finland have been met by protesters firing fireworks & sounding loud horns, & at least one person dressed in a Ku Klux Klan-like white robe & pointed hat.

p>Finnish broadcasters showed how the bus with the new arrivals was escorted by police as it approached a refugee center north of Helsinki early Friday.

State broadcaster YLE said the roughly 40 asylum-seekers were met by up to 40 protesters. It was unclear if any arrests were made.

Some 500 people formed a symbolic human wall Saturday in the northern Finland border town of Tornio to protest against the arrival of migrants from Sweden. No incidents were reported.

Up to 30,000 asylum-seekers are expected in the Nordic country this year, compared to 3,651 last year.

___

10:40 a.m.

Croatian police say some 55,000 migrants have crossed into the country from Serbia since last Wednesday when the first groups started arriving.

Police say the numbers include people who came in by early hours on Friday, yet that many more were expected to arrive overnight. Police say 8,500 people crossed into Croatia in one day on Thursday.

The UN estimates that 80 percent of the people entering Europe through the Balkans are fleeing conflict in Syria, Afghanistan & Iraq. The other 20 percent are from places including Pakistan, Bangladesh, Burundi & Sub-Saharan African.

They turned to Croatia after Hungary on Sept. 15 used tear gas & water cannons to drive them away from its border with Serbia. Croatia has been shipping the migrants to its borders with Hungary & Slovenia.

The migration crisis has fueled tensions in the Balkans, with rival countries Serbia & Croatia slamming each other with border closures & traffic blockades.

___

10:10 a.m.

Hungary's government spokesman says the fence being built on the border with Croatia to stop migrants from entering is nearly finished.

Government spokesman Zoltan Kovacs said Friday on state radio that Hungary doesn't want to close the border, yet wants "to protect the border of the European Union." He said the possibility of legal entry would be left open.

Hungary has moreover installed spools of razor wire near a border crossing with Slovenia, which like Hungary is part of the EU's Schengen zone of passport-free travel.

Kovacs said they are meant to "block direct detours" by migrants who may attempt to circumvent the fences on the Serbian & Croatian borders to reach Germany & other countries in Western Europe.

Prime Minister Viktor Orban will be in Vienna on Friday meeting with Austrian Chancellor Werner Faymann & other officials to discuss the migration crisis.

Police said 8,104 migrants entered Hungary on Thursday, nearly all crossing from Croatia.

Source: “Associated Press”