KINSHASA (Reuters) – Six hunters in the Democratic Republic of Congo who fell sick & were suspected to have Ebola have tested negative for the virus, the health minister said on Saturday.
The government & World Health Organization investigated a possible outbreak approximately 270 km (170 miles) northeast of the capital when the hunters developed Ebola-like symptoms after eating an antelope that appeared to be sick when they killed it.
The symptoms included diarrhoea, vomiting & bloody urine. Four of the hunters have died.
"All of the samples are negative … There is not an Ebola epidemic," Health Minister Felix Kabange said in an interview on state-run television.
Congo has had more outbreaks of the disease than any other country. Since December 2013, the virus has killed more than 11,200 people in Liberia, Sierra Leone & Guinea in the worst Ebola epidemic on record.
A three-month outbreak that killed 49 people late last year in the remote forests of northwestern Congo was not related to the West African epidemic.
(Reporting By Aaron Ross; Editing by Matthew Mpoke Bigg & Kevin Liffey)