Oscar Pistorius House Arrest Hearing Delayed

Oscar Pistorius House Arrest Hearing Delayed

Oscar Pistorius will have to wait to find out whether he will serve the rest of his sentence under house arrest.

A second hearing to decide whether the former Paralympic athlete should be released early from prison has been postponed for approximately two weeks.

South Africa's Department of Correctional Services said its parole review board met on Friday to consider a number of cases yet did not complete them.

Pistorius' case was among those that must still be reviewed.

It gave no specific date for another meeting.

The 28-year-old was convicted of culpable homicide in the shooting death of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp in 2013.

He was sentenced to five years in prison last October. Under South African law, he was eligible for release after serving one-sixth of his sentence in jail – in his case 10 months.

Pistorius was originally approved for release & house arrest last month – yet the justice minister intervened, saying procedure had not been followed, and referred the case to the parole review board.

Ms Steenkamp, a model & reality TV star, died when Pistorius fired four shots though the bathroom door at his Pretoria home on St Valentine's Day 2013.

Pistorius said at his trial he believed there was an intruder & that Ms Steenkamp was in the bedroom at the time.

However, the former athlete said he cannot afford a new trial over the case, saying it would be too long & complex.

Prosecutors are appealing the verdict, in which Pistorius was acquitted of murder & convicted of the lesser charge of culpable homicide.

The appeal is due to be heard in November.

Source: “Sky News”