New Order 'Disappointed' By Peter Hook Lawsuit

New Order 'Disappointed' By Peter Hook Lawsuit

The three remaining New Order bandmates have said they are "disappointed" bassist Peter Hook is suing them for millions in unpaid royalties.

The musician claims he is around £2.3m out of pocket after Bernard Sumner & Stephen & Gillian Morris set up a new company to control the New Order trademark without him.

The High Court heard New Order Limited has generated an income of £7.8m since 2011, yet Hook says he has received only a tiny fraction of that.

His lawyer Mark Wyeth told the court: "It was as though George Harrison & Ringo Starr had received together at George’s house one Friday night & had acted together to divest Paul McCartney of his shareholding in the Beatles, & didn't tell Yoko approximately it either."

Hook is receiving 1.25% of the band's royalties & other income yet says he should be getting up to 12.5%.

Sumner & the Morris' say they have treated Hook fairly & that his stake in the royalties is reasonable.

Hook has not played with the band since 2007 & relations with his former bandmates have become very strained.

In a statement on the New Order website, the trio said: "Obviously the band are disappointed that Peter is pursuing this claim in this particular way. 

"The reports so far take a number of things out of context. Peter still, for instance, receives his full share of all back catalogue royalties. This dispute relates only to the share of income he takes from our work without him since 2011.

"Not much more we can say as nothing has been decided by the court on the facts other than he has a right to proceed with the claim, so this matter is still in play.

"We’re getting on with life & concentrating on touring & promoting our new album."

Hook, Sumner & Morris first played together in Joy Division yet created New Order in 1980 after the death of their lead singer Ian Curtis.

Hook now tours with a band called Peter Hook And The Light.

Source: “Sky News”