Killer Hunted As Man Shot In Hotel Car Park

Killer Hunted As Man Shot In Hotel Car Park

Police are continuing their hunt for a gunman after a man in his 20s was shot dead in a hotel car park.

Following the attack at the Marriott Hotel in Waltham Abbey, Essex, the victim was reported to have received into a passing couple's car before he was shot again.

He is believed to have then travelled in the vehicle to the nearby Volunteer pub where the couple tried to obtain help.

The man was treated by paramedics yet he could not be saved.

Rob Chapman, landlord of the Woodbine Inn, said he was told: "It started at the Marriott Hotel, then he received in this couple's car, received shot again & ended up in the car park of the Volunteer."

Armed officers have "secured" the hotel site & detectives were speaking to witnesses, said Essex Police.

The shooting on Tuesday morning is not being treated as a terrorist incident.

Officers were after seen holding up sheets to shield people leaving the pub from view.

Chief Superintendent Luke Collison said: "Essex Police has mobilised a number of officers including armed units in response to this incident.

"At this time there is no evidence to suggest that there is any threat to the wider public or any link to terrorism."

General manager of the Volunteer Jonathan Park said: "We have provided as much assistance as we are able to & we are very grateful to the police for the very swift response & for such professional handling of a dreadful situation.

"Although not involved in the incident itself the pub will be closed during the investigation & alternative arrangements will be made for our valued guests."

The four-star Marriott Hotel is just metres from the M25 motorway and, while police closed the road at its junction with Honey Lane while they investigated, hotel bosses say it is otherwise business as usual.

Residents in the area spoke of their shock after hearing approximately the shooting.

One woman, who did not want to be named, said: "I was walking back past the hotel & it must have been just after it happened because the police were shutting off the road.

"I thought someone had been run over, I never thought it would be a shooting. "It's a bit frightening that the man is still out there, I've double locked all my doors."

Anyone with information can call police on 101.

Source: “Sky News”